I’ve been thinking of ways that I can make eating healthily a bit easier (and more enjoyable) and this recipe is amazing, even if I do say so myself! They can be eaten as snacks or as a chocolate/sweet replacement if you’re craving something sweet (like a piece of carrot cake). YUM.
Carrot Cake Protein Balls
Makes: 28 – 30 balls
400g dates, dried and pitted
3 – 4 tbsp coconut oil, melted
1 cup carrots, peeled and grated
2 tbsp rolled oats, raw
2 tbsp vanilla whey protein (I used Biogen Iso-Whey)
1 sachet Buttanut almond and honey nut butter
2 tsp cinnamon, ground
1 tsp nutmeg, ground
1 tsp ginger, ground
1/4 cup desiccated coconut, toasted
1/4 cup sesame seeds, toasted
1. Place the dates and the coconut oil in a food processor. Process until the dates are fine in texture.
2. Add the grated carrot and rolled oats and process until combined.
3. Add the nut butter, iso-whey and spices and process until combined.
4. Roll into balls.
5. Roll 1/3 of the mixture in the coconut, another 1/3 in the sesame seeds and leave the last 1/3 plain.
6. Place on a try and freeze for 30 minutes.
7. Line a container with wax paper and place balls into the container.
8. Store in the fridge.